Photo walks in Northumberland.
College Valley - Trowupburn - Hetha Valley - Elsdon Burn - Walk.
This circular walk in the Cheviot Hills of North Northumberland follows the valleys of four different burns:
The walk starts and ends at the car park at Hethpool in the College Valley and mainly follows metalled roads and forest tracks which provides some great views of this remote area.
Walk Distance 4.7 miles approx. (possible route variations)
Parking - Car park at Hethpool reached by turning off the B6351 Wooler to Kirk Yetholm road at Westnewton. Note - private cars cannot proceed beyond this car park without applying for a permit in advance.
Toilets - Nearest at Wooler, Coldstream or Yetholm.
1) From the car park we followed the College Valley road south for just over a mile until we reached the track which turns right to Trowupburn.
The views in both directions along the valley were superb and we saw some of the wild goats grazing by the burn.
2) The track to Trowupburn rises away from the College Valley through a forest but looking back provides a spectacular view of Newton Tors on the east side of the valley.
3) We continued along this track for about a mile and just before reaching Trowupburn the view opened out to provide a panoramic view of the Scottish / English border ridge just west of Trowupburn.
4) From Trowupburn we turned north and followed the road which rises out of this valley over a "pass" between Great Hetha on the right and an unnamed hill which forms part of Madam Law.
5) From here the road dropped down into the third valley on this walk, that of the Hetha Burn.
6) We followed the road beside the burn down the valley which opened out to give wide views of the most northerly parts of the Cheviot Hills.
7) After about one and a half miles walking from Trowupburn we reached the fourth valley on the route - that of the Elsdon Burn.
8) We turned right at the road junction and followed the road which now returned to Hethpool with views along Elsdon Burn toward Easter Tor on the horizon.
9) In under a mile we join the road from Westnewton to Hethpool.
10) We turned right here and followed this road back to the car park ( just under half a mile)
To see larger photos please visit our Northumberland Photo Website