Northumberland-Walks.co.uk - photographic walks in Northumberland.
Ravensheugh and Tosson Hill Walk
We started this walk from the car park in Simonside Forest, used for the waymarked trails.
The route we followed took us along the forest trails to the bottom of Simonside Crags. From there we walked to Ravensheugh and across open fells to Tosson Hill.
We returned back to Simonside but turned left down into the forest before reaching the crags. From there we followed paths and tracks back to the car park.
Distance - Just under 7 miles.
Parking - Simonside Forest Car Park and Picnic Area near Great Tosson.
Toilets - None - nearest in Rothbury.
*Note! This is not one of the waymarked routes marked in the car park.
1) From the car park we followed the trail that leads past the entrance and information board, through a single pole gate / barrier.
From here we walked uphill until reaching a junction just before the transmitter mast which is on the right of the track.
2) At the junction we turned left and followed the track which is our normal route when we walk up Simonside Crags.
3) The track goes downhill for a while before bearing right and climbing uphill again alongside a burn which runs in a small ravine down to the forest.
4) After a while we reached another junction where we turned right towards Simonside Crags. (The left turn leads to Dove Crag.) It always seems to feel distinctly cooler here as you emerge from the forest.
5) We followed the track until we reached the seats which have one of the finest views in Northumberland. We always stop here for a while to admire the views.
6) From the seats we walked towards the bottom of Simonside Crags where we followed the path that runs up the edge of the forest towards Ravensheugh.
7) As we followed this path it became narrower where it briefly entered the forest. Some gaps in the trees provided excellent views across the Coquet Valley to Thropton and the Cheviot Hills.
8) The path emerges from the forest at a stile near Ravensheugh Crags which are below to the right.
9) We crossed the stile and walked along the path, crossing open moorland towards Tosson Hill. The large cairn surrounding the Trig Point was easily visible ahead.
10) On reaching the cairn at Tosson Hill we stopped for a while to admire the superb views across Coquetdale to the Cheviot Hills.
11) From here we returned back along the path to Ravensheugh which also has great views ahead to Simonside and down into the valley below.
12) Crossing the stile again we walked back down the path towards Simonside looking out for a path to the left down to the forest.
13) Before we reached the crags a marker pole indicated the path on our left into a gully through the heather.
14) We followed this path, which would probably be wet and slippery after rain, until we reached the forest.
15) Down through the forest we passed an overhanging crag on our right before the path levelled out a bit and became a bit clearer.
16) After a short while the path reached a forest trail, where we turned right, ignoring another path on the other side.
17) We followed this track uphill again, continuing straight on past a junction on our left.
18) Eventually we reached the transmitter mast and the junction we passed on the way up.
19) We turned left here and followed the track back down to the car park.