Ordnance Survey Map Software for Walkers
We use map software to plan all our walks on our computer and have done for a number of years. It has totally replaced paper maps for our route planning, although we always carry a paper map with us (usually a printed out from our chosen area).
The advantages of using map software on a computer are numerous:
- Ease of viewing.
- Zoom in to chosen areas for more detail.
- Ease of calculating distances.
- Ease of plotting routes.
- View sunrise / sunset times and other info for any location on any day of the year (great for photographers).
- Printing an A4 size map of only the chosen area to carry while walking (in addition to an OS map or handheld GPS) makes reading much easier.
- Adding routes to GPS for use with a handheld GPS unit